Wednesday, June 9, 2010

fireflies

Tonight I officially spotted my first lightening bug of the summer. I don't know why I love them so much. I think it may be because every single time I see one, I think of the summer my family lived here in DC when I was ten-years-old and my dad was back here for a long session of Congress. We lived in a two-bedroom apartment in Crystal City and all the kids slept in one room in sleeping bags on the floor next to each other. It may sound like interesting living conditions to most, but it was so much fun. We would play hopscotch on the balcony and lay awake telling funny stories all night. I remember visiting an underground mall for the first time and being allowed to walk to the mall by ourselves without an adult! I remember walking to the grocery store with our own shopping cart from home and I remember going to church in a high-rise building. I remember swimming in the complex pool for hours and I remember going to see "Free Willy" in the theatre and Lara running into the "Free Willy" actor who we thought was oh so cute! I remember seeing fireflies for the first time that summer and catching them in a jar. For some reason, though, they did not glow at night (maybe due to a slight oxygen problem?). Hmm, I still wonder about that. But tonight I spotted the first bug. It made me so happy to live here. Who would've thought? But I do miss, a little more than ever, Lara, Jake and Matt...

Simply Stated: I get a thousand hugs from ten-thousand lightening bugs.

1 comment:

Brett and Rachel said...

So jealous. Catching a firefly and putting it in a jar is on my bucket list. It's not crossed off. Apparently we don't get lightening bugs in AZ. :)


The Latest...

Recently, I packed up my Western self and moved out East to a little place called Virginia. My parents relocated out here about 2 years ago, so it was time I check out VA for myself. It is in the DC metro area, so we spend lots of fun time in the city or in the country. I am still working as a pediatric nurse and looking to maybe move towards the non-profit or political side of health care. I gained a new family member in the form of a Chinese exchange student named Donna, and I love being with my parents again. Life is good.