Sunday, April 11, 2010

cherry blossom festival



Last week, here in DC, the cherry blossoms were in their fullest bloom. The interesting thing, I didn't realize, is that they only come in full bloom for a week or two and then fall off. So if you really want to experience them, you have to go down to the "Tidal Basin" around the Jefferson Memorial for the full effect. There are literally hundreds of cherry trees planted around the basin. Little did we know it was going to be a HUGE crowd and everyone else had the same idea. I've been into DC several times, even on Spring Break, and never saw so many people down there at one time.





We thought the "Bike Valet" was pretty clever.

I had to sneak a picture of this little monkey in the tree.
I found this story of George Washington and Cherry Tree because I hadn't heard it in some time... enjoy!

When George was about six years old, he was made the wealthy master of a hatchet of which, like most little boys, he was extremely fond. He went about chopping everything that came his way.

One day, as he wandered about the garden amusing himself by hacking his mother's pea sticks, he found a beautiful, young English cherry tree, of which his father was most proud. He tried the edge of his hatchet on the trunk of the tree and barked it so that it died.

Some time after this, his father discovered what had happened to his favorite tree. He came into the house in great anger, and demanded to know who the mischievous person was who had cut away the bark. Nobody could tell him anything about it.

Just then George, with his little hatchet, came into the room.

"George,'' said his father, "do you know who has killed my beautiful little cherry tree yonder in the garden? I would not have taken five guineas for it!''

This was a hard question to answer, and for a moment George was staggered by it, but quickly recovering himself he cried:

"I cannot tell a lie, father, you know I cannot tell a lie! I did cut it with my little hatchet.''

The anger died out of his father's face, and taking the boy tenderly in his arms, he said:

"My son, that you should not be afraid to tell the truth is more to me than a thousand trees! Yes - though they were blossomed with silver and had leaves of the purest gold!''

Simply Stated: I cannot tell a lie... the cherry trees were lovely

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went and saw the blossoms 2 years ago and they are amazing!! I wanted to see them again this year SO BAD but we didn't make it up.

Fun, fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and happy late bday!

Krissi said...

just hoping there are a couple of blossoms hanging on for us!

Brett and Rachel said...

So beautiful!! That makes up for the "snowmageddon" post a few months back. :)

Katie said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! I LOVE cherry blossoms. I've heard that it gets crazy crowded during the festival, but that doesn't stop me from putting it on my bucket list. :)

ArtzeeChris said...

I took a photography class a few weeks back with my sister when the Cherry Blossoms were in full bloom and we had such a wonderful time around the tidal basin. It was an amazing view and we got some amazing pictures!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Angel said...

The cherry blossoms are so beautiful! Enjoy the sunshine!

Sincerely,
Angel (in San Francisco)


The Latest...

Recently, I packed up my Western self and moved out East to a little place called Virginia. My parents relocated out here about 2 years ago, so it was time I check out VA for myself. It is in the DC metro area, so we spend lots of fun time in the city or in the country. I am still working as a pediatric nurse and looking to maybe move towards the non-profit or political side of health care. I gained a new family member in the form of a Chinese exchange student named Donna, and I love being with my parents again. Life is good.