Wednesday, September 8, 2010

u-haulin with dad

Dad and I made another famous cross-country trip in about 36 hours, but this time it was from Virginia to Arizona. I don't know if you've heard the news, but my parents are moving back to AZ and they are moving right back into our old house! As for me, it's off to Ecuador. But, Dad had to be back in AZ sooner than Mom, so we loaded up the old U-Haul and drove. Of course I had to take pictures along the way to document our course.

I thought my brother, Jake, would like this sign...
On a road trip with Dad, these are the kind of signs that usually reel us (ehm...him) in. Honestly, I don't mind all the little stops at the Indian trading posts, boot shops, knife shops, or Harley stores because Dad likes it so much and I just like to be with Dad. And it's all the more fun to see the cowboy side of every state. I wish I had a picture of the coon-skin hat he bought me to wear while sittin' in in U-Haul. It was pretty sweet and kept my head warm the whole trip!
I joked with Dad after a few little stops that Dad insisted were tradition when traveling across country and said, "I'm a little worried we're never going to get out of Tennessee." 
I must say though, my favorite stop was Graceland in Memphis, Tennessee. Dad LOVES Elvis. He is practically the man himself! I remember watching Elvis movies with Dad growing up. 






I have to admit that I gained a greater appreciation for Elvis and Dad that day. My favorite was when Dad said that he felt so fulfilled now that he had taken 3 of his 4 children to Graceland. Lara... your the last one!

Along the trip we stopped at our favorite Cracker Barrel 3-4 different times. Nothing beats good country home-cookin' on the road. And I bet you didn't know this (I didn't because I'm not usually gearin' to go out to eat that time of morning) but Cracker Barrel is open at 6 a.m. for the early birds. And at that time of morning on our trip we had usually already been on the road for about 1 1/2 hours and were ready to stop for some grub. Like I always say, "The early bird gets the squirrel."



On our trip we loved singing loud and proud to The Beatles and The Beach Boys...Oh, and Elvis of course! I had so much fun just being with Dad and enjoying the open road together.
New Mexico was another treat! Dad was raised in Albuquerque and so he took me back to some of his favorite hot spots as a kid. We did not, however, plan to encounter this snake on the way into the motel. We drove our u-haul 2x over that beast to flatten him to a pancake but he was a fighter. He was still alive after being run over twice! Eww, I hate those things.
This is where Dad had his first taco ever and that is something to be remembered! I don't remember my first time because I think I have had them ever since I could eat normal foods. It is one of Mom's staples. But I do remember a picture of Dad when he was young, standing next to an Indian in full headdress and that picture was taken here at Old Town.
These little monkeys reminded me of my cute nephew, Sam, who can't go anywhere without his sock monkey.
After we got to AZ, I went with Dad to this luncheon that he thought he was going to speak at. Little did he know that he was being honored at it. It's a good thing his secretary is one of my closest friends! Thanks Em! But it was so special. He was given the first Distinguished Advocate award to represent the newly founded Mitch Menlove foundation. Mitch was one of my Dad's closest friends and associates and he suddenly passed away of a heart attack at age 36 in July, leaving his wife and 4 children. It was devastating. So when they awarded this to my Dad and when his and Mitch's picture flashed on the big screen, we were all a little emotional and so touched. What an honor and what a good man to remember.
I had a lot of fun with Jake, Sarah, and Charlee this trip. Thanks for spending so much time with me! 

Little Charlee Horse is such a pleasant baby and I LOVE her to death!
I'm so sad I didn't get pictures with Kim and all my other friends that I spent time with! Until next time! Thanks guys!

Simply Stated: Sometimes U just need to Haul yourself across country to experience the finer things in life... like walking where "The King" has walked in his "Blue Suede Shoes".

7 comments:

R.C + T.S said...

Kate- I am glad your trip to AZ was so eventful! I can't believe you got such a good picture of that rattle snake; I hope you were in the car or far from striking distance when you snapped that photo... haha! Seriously. Miss you!

Ariana said...

loved the photos of Graceland. Super cool...i've never been before!!

oh and congratulations on your mission call. how exciting!! I would love to be going on a mission...I guess I'll have to wait to be called on one with Natedogg.

Lara said...

so glad you had fun. Love you...I guess it's me next for Graceland! And sam would LOVE those monkeys!

Brett and Rachel said...

So crazy that your parents are moving back into that same house! That seems appropriate though. I can't imagine anyone else living there besides my family or yours. :)

Cheryl said...

What a fun trip! I had no idea that your parents were moving back to AZ.

Landvatter Family said...

Katie you are so gorgeous! I miss you so much and am soooo sad I missed you when you were here! I love ya girl and can't wait to catch up sometime!

Jake & Sarah Salmon said...

What a road trip! It was so fun having you here! We love you so much Katie!


The Latest...

Recently, I packed up my Western self and moved out East to a little place called Virginia. My parents relocated out here about 2 years ago, so it was time I check out VA for myself. It is in the DC metro area, so we spend lots of fun time in the city or in the country. I am still working as a pediatric nurse and looking to maybe move towards the non-profit or political side of health care. I gained a new family member in the form of a Chinese exchange student named Donna, and I love being with my parents again. Life is good.